Saturday, April 6, 2013

A to Z Challenge: F is for feedback

Ok, so here's a step away from the elements of a novel. This one is more focused on the editorial process.

Feedback.

I'm talking about taking your precious work that you've been slaving over for months (years for some of us) and sharing it with people whose opinions you trust and who can give you honest, constructive criticism for how to improve upon the clarity, structure and style of your work.

I  know, it's a scary prospect. I have yet to show anyone more than the smallest taste of my own manuscript because I already know what the feedback will be.

Unfortunately, the main problem I see with manuscripts in the slush pile is lack of feedback. A manuscript that has been read and vetted by trusted critique partners and/or professionally edited has a lot better chance rising above the rest of the slush. A lot of authors would save themselves a giant helping of humble pie if they would only take the time to get feedback on their work and then put that feedback to work in a revision (or 10).

What's your process like? Do you have trusted critique partners that you go to?

13 comments:

  1. I haven't been trying to write a novel in forever and back then I never got past a few pages. I guess my best comparison would be my cover letter while applying for a new job. I ran it by two people who I thought would just say that it sounded good and would give no feedback because they look at me as a writer and at themselves as very much not. Surprisingly they gave some feedback so I made some edits. Then I edited again. Constructive criticism is good.

    Check out my A to Z! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just now writing my first novel, so I haven't had to deal with this process yet. Family and friends will always love my writing, but this is suspect. I would like to think that I will be open and welcoming of honest critiques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely make sure you have your work vetted by another writer or group of writers that you can trust to give you an honest opinion. Your family loves and supports you and you will need that when (if... when) you start getting rejections. The point of constructive feedback is to shorten that road from rejections to acceptances, contracts, sales!

      Delete
  3. Working on my first book. I do have a few mentors who give constructive feedback. Some days are harder than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be ready for it when you ask for feedback, because yeah it can be hard to take. Still, if it makes your writing better, it's worth the pain to get there!

      Delete
  4. I wish I would have received more feedback before I sent off my first MS. Rookie mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is... but not to feel bad about! Just something to take in consideration moving forward, yeah?

      Delete
  5. I use a combination of beta readers and a large online writers' group. There are pluses and minuses to both, which is why I feel the combination really helps me improve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came by from A to Z and enjoyed your post. I backtracked and skimmed over the others and they were even better. I especially love the Harry Potter examples. I look forward to reading more. Rita A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We'll hopefully be getting back to a little more Harry Potter in the next few posts...

      Delete
  7. love all this great advice!
    i recognized rena's intro! yay, rena!
    any friend of hers is a friend of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Rena! And yay blog friends! Glad to have you, Tara :)

      Delete

What's on your mind? I wanna know!