Tuesday, August 6, 2013

IWSG: Taking the leap

Hey!!! It's the first Wednesday of the month and I'm actually prepared enough to offer up my piece of the Insecure Writer's Support Group today. Woohoo! Thanks to the amazing Alex Cavanaugh for launching this group that has been such a great... well... support to writers like me who need to be able to talk about our fears and know that someone out there hears us and that maybe they know what we're going through, too. You should really join us. You'll never regret it.

What I want to talk about today isn't necessarily something that's strictly related to writing... but it's something that I'm going through right now and I needed to share.

If you didn't know yet, my husband's job is being outsourced at the end of this month. That's a good thing, believe it or not. N has been struggling with stress and frustration over his career for years now, and most acutely in the past three years. It's time for a change, time for us both to leap out into the great unknown and let our dreams of what we've always wanted to do take flight.

We've known this change was coming for months now, so we've had time to strategize and prepare. That doesn't mean we're ready, though. As the moment of truth draws nearer, we lean forward and look over the edge of the Cliff of Doing What You Dream. That's a pretty steep drop! Our hearts flutter a little more anxiously with each passing day. Soon, we're going to be faced with the decision. Do we really jump and risk the possibility of failure (or wild success)? Or do we do the safe thing and go back to occupations that we hate, but that we know will meet our budget each month?

The best thing, and an important piece for those who wish to experiment with flying, is that we are moving back to California, to a place where we have a support network, people to encourage us along the way. Talking through your fears and frustrations makes them easier to overcome. It's one of the reasons I love the IWSG. Supporters help lessen the impact when you fail... and give you the courage you need to try again. Thanks!

I hope that we'll at least push ourselves over the edge and see what we're capable of. We have a safety net, if we need it... but we'll never know if we can fly if we don't take the leap.

7 comments:

  1. First, California rocks, and being close to your support is more important than any locality.

    Second, taking the leap is amazingly difficult. You're probably worried about things like "If I try this time and completely fail, do I ever get to try again?"

    If you haven't seen Zen Pencils yet, I recommend this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! That's amazing! And yes, California rocks. See you there, maybe?

      Delete
  2. As they say; fortune favours the brave. Hope it all pans out for you - it's scary, but enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the second person to say that to me today! New mantra? I think so! "Fortune favors the brave"

      Delete
  3. Ha, I was the first person to say that! I have it on a post-it on my computer as a reminder when I'm tempted to crawl into my introvert-shell for too long.

    I'm so excited for you guys to get here already. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will absolutely do fine as long as you are following what you love. Your dreams may not come true like you planned, so be prepared and open for that, but they will work out. You may have to redefine 'success'. I'm glad you're going to be near your support group; it's why we live in Austin. You two will do wonderfully. Life is too short to live unhappily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Too short. Hopefully you will come visit us out there soon, too.

      We're already redefining success and figuring out what we want. Our hearts are open. We just know it's time to chase after something new.

      Delete

What's on your mind? I wanna know!